Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: API Docs Update

Sencha User

Default API Docs Update

Hello Everyone,

First of all, congrats on the new site and beta release. I downloaded de zip file but noticed that the API docs are still not up to date. Are there plans to synchronize the API docs with the new releases to come?

Note: The documentation and samples will not be fully updated until the 1.0 final release.

Sencha User jay@moduscreate.com's Avatar

what's the point of releasing builds if the docs are not updated to reflect additions? :confused:

Quote Originally Posted by djliquidice View Post
    what's the point of releasing builds if the docs are not updated to reflect additions? :confused:
    Bug fixes and other priorities I'm sure... But I have to agree that the documentation is becoming woefully out of date...

Sencha User

We can always stop releasing bug fixes altogether until the documentation is complete if that's your preference. Obviously, the people complaining about documentation have never actually written documentation...

EDIT: Upon re-reading, that sounded a bit harsh, so let me rephrase. A LOT of work has gone into building this new site, setting up a company structure, writing code, writing new examples, oh yeah, and updating documentation. We have a LOT of stuff to do, and there aren't many people on the team (only Jack and me full-time right now). So please have a little patience with us as we move toward the final release. Most frameworks don't have good documentation at all -- we're just saying that it's not there during alpha/beta. Most people find that to be reasonable.

Sencha User

Quote Originally Posted by brian.moeskau View Post
    We can always stop releasing bug fixes altogether until the documentation is complete if that's your preference. Obviously, the people complaining about documentation have never actually written documentation...
    Hahaha I

Quote Originally Posted by brian.moeskau View Post
    Most frameworks don't have good documentation at all
    That is true, but should not be used a an argument here. The good documentation was one reason to give yui-ext a chance over other js-libs.

Therefore it is very important to have a documention at last shortly after release.
    In the meantime every one like me must/can read the source code :-)

Quote Originally Posted by schmidetzki View Post
    In the meantime every one like me must/can read the source code :-)
    And, by reading the source code, you'll have an even better understanding of how it works than if you'd just referenced something in the docs.
    Jeff Howden
    Ext JS - Support Team Volunteer
    [email protected]

Ext User

I was wondering if there are plans to allow some user contributed documentation? I was thinking if the documentation had a commenting system similar to Jacks blog. Select users could see the comment bar and leave edits. Then someone from the Ext team could review them for inclusion. I have lots of personal notes about specific functions that I could add. I realize this is not a small project to do in itself but maybe helpful.

Brant, that is definitely going to happen it's just a matter of when. I have a few ideas for it. The actual commenting code isn't difficult, the most time consuming part would be the additional "online" documentation generator templates that could generate what is needed to make that work. 1 set of templates for the download and one set of templates for "live" docs online.
    Jack Slocum
    Sencha Co-Founder, Ext JS Founder
    Original author of Ext JS 1, 2 & 3.
    Twitter: @jackslocum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast