Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 106

Thread: ExtJS 7 release date

  1. #91
    Sencha User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeRH View Post
    Wow...Webix is looking really good...great pricing and they have widgets I have been asking Sencha to make for years now.
    Webix is a very basic framework compared to both ExtJS and DevExtreme. If you plan to make a simple read-only web app, then webix might be ok, but it will not scale and it won't work for data intensive apps. It reminds me of ExtJS version 3 where application architecture wasn't really a concern.

  2. #92
    Sencha Premium Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hakimio View Post
    Webix is a very basic framework compared to both ExtJS and DevExtreme. If you plan to make a simple read-only web app, then webix might be ok, but it will not scale and it won't work for data intensive apps. It reminds me of ExtJS version 3 where application architecture wasn't really a concern.
    Oh for sure. I was just surprised since the last time i checked on it...has improved quite a lot.

  3. #93
    Sencha User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    121

    Default

    So from all angles looks like Sencha is going to die on the vine?

    Does Dev Extreme have anything like Ext.Direct? Or can anyone recommend anything?

  4. #94
    Sencha Premium Member tjstuart's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mcg1103 View Post
    So from all angles looks like Sencha is going to die on the vine?
    The recent Sencha webinar implies that this is not the case.

    https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/rec...20800883462402

  5. #95
    Sencha Premium User jvandemerwe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Raalte, Netherlands
    Posts
    261

    Default

    I am close to renew my annual support with Sencha. What bothers me that every year I seem to be doing it at the same time I am looking for alternatives at the same time. Not because I don't like Ext JS (I think it is the best), but because there is so much rumble (or silence, what you prefer) around the future of Sencha and Ext JS. That really annoys me. The title of this contribution is "Ext JS 7 release date" and the discussion has now progressed into good alternatives for Ext JS, there sure is something wrong with that picture.
    Professional Sencha ExtJS and PHP development since 2007

  6. #96
    Sencha Premium User mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    40,448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mcg1103 View Post
    Does Dev Extreme have anything like Ext.Direct? Or can anyone recommend anything?
    What part of the Ext Direct spec do you like? The request bundling was great but HTTP/2 has made that need moot IMO. So the only other thing I see (other than already having a backend setup for it) is it made JavaScript functions that you can execute and it sends a request off but that again would easily be able to setup a factory to handle that.
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch

    Check out my GitHub:
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

    Posts are my own, not any current, past or future employer's.

  7. #97
    Sencha Premium User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    What part of the Ext Direct spec do you like? The request bundling was great but HTTP/2 has made that need moot IMO. So the only other thing I see (other than already having a backend setup for it) is it made JavaScript functions that you can execute and it sends a request off but that again would easily be able to setup a factory to handle that.

    Apollo GraphQL client supports query batching as well.

  8. #98
    Sencha Premium User mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    40,448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LesJ View Post
    Apollo GraphQL client supports query batching as well.
    So basically put yourself in the same issue as people have with Ext Direct whereas HTTP/2 is a standard?

    The issue with batching is say you have 4 requests batched into one but one of them results in a SQL query that is costly. Now all 4 requests will take however long the longest request takes. I know I had to disable batching for particular Ext Direct resources to work around this side affect for the support portal since there are many requests that refresh at an interval to make sure those stay performant and not get batched with certain requests that take a while.

    With HTTP/2, you are not limited to number of open sockets like you are with HTTP1.x and SSL handshakes do not happen for each request. HTTP/2 standard is a great standard that makes request batching obsolete IMO. And yes, like anything in the world you can find horror stories about anything and I'm sure you can find some for HTTP/2.

    Had a project where startup took forever because they were firing lots of requests and delayed app start till those finished. They were always hitting the socket limitation so updated their infrastructure to use HTTP/2 and the requests aren't waiting on each other and the app startup is now very fast even with waiting on those requests to finish. Sure, combine requests where it's fitting to do so but globally batching has it's big downside too.
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch

    Check out my GitHub:
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

    Posts are my own, not any current, past or future employer's.

  9. #99
    Sencha User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    121

    Default

    Actually I have just started playing around with Ext.DIrect. I like that it handles the backend requests without much effort. True it is just building the json requests and handling the response with a JSON store? is that correct?

    I was using it with the Ext.data.virtual.Store and did not have to do much work to get it going. I ran into trouble and had to revert to paging in that I could not update the data within the store. It seems that it is just used for view only. I don't remember the exact issues I had but it seems like it is not complete. ... I could not retrieve an individual record within the view. I think the call to getData() had a problem. It was a while ago and I was just playing around with it so I did not push it...

    I really like the Sencha environment. Sencha put together a team of extremely bright hard working people, then sold the company and they fired everyone. It would be nice to know what happened to cause the sale and destruction of the company. How do they expect to make any money? It would be difficult to believe anyone starting a new project would select extjs as the tool to build the project with given the uncertainty around the company and all the other choices. Are they just going to sell to people who are so deep into the product they can't easily use something else? They would still need to come up with new version to sell... right? Are they only making income off support, that seem hard to believe given that they don't seem to have staff to fix bugs anyway. The last company where I worked used Sencha since version 3 (pre sencha even). And I really enjoyed working with it. Really sad to see it go away. That company is still using Sencha but I would guess they are looking at alternatives.

  10. #100
    Sencha User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jvandemerwe View Post
    I am close to renew my annual support with Sencha. What bothers me that every year I seem to be doing it at the same time I am looking for alternatives at the same time. Not because I don't like Ext JS (I think it is the best), but because there is so much rumble (or silence, what you prefer) around the future of Sencha and Ext JS. That really annoys me. The title of this contribution is "Ext JS 7 release date" and the discussion has now progressed into good alternatives for Ext JS, there sure is something wrong with that picture.
    How has the support been recently? Is it worth the price? Do you use it often and get timely responses?

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. ExtJS 6.0.2 release date
    By hakimio in forum Ext JS 6.x Q&A
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 6 Jun 2016, 3:29 PM
  2. ExtJS classic release date
    By boggle in forum Community Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 5 Apr 2011, 5:50 AM
  3. Release Date of ExtJS 4
    By sraghavachari in forum Ext: Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 24 Mar 2011, 6:08 AM
  4. Release date of ExtJS 3.3?
    By steffenk in forum Community Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 11 Oct 2010, 8:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •