Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ExtJS 7 release date

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by akiroussama View Post
    Any news if the future ExtJS 7 will based on ExtJS Modern toolkit ? this is important for projects starting now..
    I was told on the last SenchaCon Roadshow I attended that the only reason to stick with classic toolkit for new desktop projects was support for legacy browsers, so when we start reworking our four years in developemnt 4.x app, we went with modern toolkit. This was unfortunantly not entirely true. I knew that some features from CT probably wouldn't be available in 6.5 MT, but I assumed ExtJs 7 would be available before we launched our reworked app. Last week, we made the decision to rewrite all our MT views back to CT, putting our relase date back another three months

I'm not saying it's impossible to create great apps for desktop with MT, but for us it just wasn't mature enough.

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by mdl@online.no View Post
    I was told on the last SenchaCon Roadshow I attended that the only reason to stick with classic toolkit for new desktop projects was support for legacy browsers, so when we start reworking our four years in developemnt 4.x app, we went with modern toolkit. This was unfortunantly not entirely true. I knew that some features from CT probably wouldn't be available in 6.5 MT, but I assumed ExtJs 7 would be available before we launched our reworked app. Last week, we made the decision to rewrite all our MT views back to CT, putting our relase date back another three months

I'm not saying it's impossible to create great apps for desktop with MT, but for us it just wasn't mature enough.
    Very sorry to hear about this, we had all intentions of delivering on the promise of feature parity with modern toolkit in the near term but now that Idera is using other developers that are not familiar with the framework (or browser dev tools) it's up in the air when or if it will happen. They can promise all they want, I just don't see it happening any time soon unfortunately.
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch
    Modus Create, Senior Frontend Engineer

Check out my GitHub:
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    If this was a brand new app, honestly I wouldn’t use Ext JS. Too much drama, too much uncertainty, too much risk.
    What alternatives would you consider? Asking for a friend...

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by jmin91 View Post
    if you were starting an app right now, I'd use React with ag-grid and react-forms (the rest depends on what you'd need for your app). Also, for state, I'm a fan of mobx over redux.

Together with Seth Lemmons, we are preparing about 40 blogs to help people transition (concept/feature based) to React. We are about half done writing, getting some React expert tech reviews and then we'll start flooding the internet with these blogs.

Check out my GitHub:

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Very sorry to hear about this, we had all intentions of delivering on the promise of feature parity with modern toolkit in the near term but now that Idera is using other developers that are not familiar with the framework (or browser dev tools) it's up in the air when or if it will happen. They can promise all they want, I just don't see it happening any time soon unfortunately.
    I knew the move to Modern Toolkit was a bold one, so I'm partly to blame myself. I still love working with ExtJs though, the stuff that works do work really well and I don't feel like I'm ready to give up on it just yet

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

I got this email on Oct. 17 from an anonymous Sencha employee in response to my question. I'm not sure if he is still with Sencha (most likely he received another offer and left). I believe the email is accurate.

Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 8.33.53 AM.jpg
    I'm an Ext JS contractor. Hire me in the Chicago area!

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by mdl@online.no View Post
    I knew the move to Modern Toolkit was a bold one, so I'm partly to blame myself. I still love working with ExtJs though, the stuff that works do work really well and I don't feel like I'm ready to give up on it just yet
    I agree, Ext JS is still a great framework and will have a long shelf life (as long as Chrome doesn't break things again, Sencha Test seems broken in Chrome beta atm iirc). They just aren't satisfying my need for real details and action so far and what I've seen and heard, things are not going very well with the new devs so there is some transition pains going on and they sound very deep pains that will take a long time to correct.

Check out my GitHub:

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

What are some viable Ext alternatives/competitors?

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

Also, for state, I'm a fan of mobx over redux.
    MobX is probably easier for the majority of use cases, but Redux has some advanced middleware such as e.g. the Redux Saga (for complex flow handling) which MobX doesn't provide.

Thanks for the info about ag-grid and any other React info. Once you have the blogs ready, I want to read them

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

I would personally recommend to try DevExtreme Angular + Angular 4 + ngrx.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast