Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ExtJS 7 release date

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by hakimio View Post
    I would personally recommend to try DevExtreme Angular + Angular 4 + ngrx.
    Their grid row editor is very nice, so that's a definite plus right there.

Oh, and their pricing is non-extortionate, too. I can't believe I didn't know about DevExtreme before :-) Thanks.

Vote Rating

Seriously? Have you dug into their DOM structure, or perf?

Their virtual scrolling isn't virtual at all. As you scroll, they just append new <tbody> elements on and on until the DOM gets clogged up and your grid stops working.

I'm always just horrified whenever I look at any "alternatives". Their examples look smooth on the outside, but if you try to write a large app, it would end up chaotic and performing horribly.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    Seriously? Have you dug into their DOM structure, or perf?

Their virtual scrolling isn't virtual at all. As you scroll, they just append new <tbody> elements on and on until the DOM gets clogged up and your grid stops working.

I'm always just horrified whenever I look at any "alternatives". Their examples look smooth on the outside, but if you try to write a large app, it would end up chaotic and performing horribly.
    Just tested this DevExtreme virtual scrollbar demo and they never render more than 21 rows at once. I don't see the issue you are talking about.

Anyway, I wouldn't call ExtJS buffered renderer perfect either. Have you seen the following bugs:
    6.5 Classic: Grid issue on reload
    Widget Columns Flicker when Using the Grouping Feature

Also, I have personally experienced some other buffered renderer bugs which I won't list here, but let's just say it does need some work...

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    I'm always just horrified whenever I look at any "alternatives".
    What do you think about the ag-grid?

https://www.ag-grid.com/

Is there a grid that you could possibly recommend? Ideally, it should work well with React.
    Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.

—Oscar Wilde

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by hakimio View Post
    Just tested this DevExtreme virtual scrollbar demo and they never render more than 21 rows at once. I don't see the issue you are talking about.
    Didn't count but seems to be way more than 21:

I think bashing something isn't the best thing to do here. We know Ext JS has had and will continue to have its problems including the uncertainty Idera hasn't dealt with. DevExtreme does seem good on the surface but this certainly isn't virtual scrolling but I don't think slamming it does any good. We can work together to find replacements and help each other so personally, I would say:

DevExtreme looks good but I'm concerned about their "virtual scrolling" is not really virtual as it seems to keep adding tbody nodes and doesn't look like they clean up old ones that I have found when scrolling as seen in my attached gif. This means eventually, the DOM would become huge and take up a lot of memory especially if you have complex cells.
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch
    Modus Create, Senior Frontend Engineer

Check out my GitHub:
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

Vote Rating

I've never seem any competitor enable all their bells and whistles at once.

It's always "Here's a grid with infinite scrolling" - and there are about 5 pure textual columns,

And then "Here's a grid with grouping", and "Here's a Grid with cell editing", and "Here's a Grid with resizable columns".

And you'll never see them pop up multiple framework dialogs, especially when they may contain comboboxes or date fields. Z-indexing is a problem most "alternatives" have just ignored. Because they are not for massively scaleable applications.

And for doing anything remotely "complicated", you're in deep, "roll your own" territory.

Compare the super-clean code of this example: http://examples.sencha.com/extjs/6.5...cordion-swiper

With the horror on show at http://www.oracle.com/webfolder/tech...cSwipeToReveal

I've never seen anything else I could recommend. They are just mashups of other frameworks, and some cobbled together DOM.

Vote Rating

Yeah BufferedRenderer was an addon to the Ext 4 Grid. Not great. But at lest it makes an attempt to work with all features. As I said, all competitor examples are very cautious to never try anything too realistic.

Modern List infinite scrolling fixes all these problems.

Vote Rating

AG grid? It's a joke.

Go to https://www.ag-grid.com/ and open up Chrome's debugging tool, and select "Performance". Record it while scrolling. It's a huge mess:

Screen Shot 2017-11-15 at 14.24.30.jpg

Compare to http://examples.sencha.com/extjs/6.5...ern#array-grid

Remember, Modern is where it's at now. BufferedRenderer is a t hing of the past.

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

You should create your own grid and sell it as a standalone product. There's a huge need for a good grid.

Take for example Highcharts, which started as product developed by a single developer, and now the owner employs a bunch of people.
    Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.

—Oscar Wilde

Vote Rating

The thing is, I just don't believe in the concept of "a grid"

There must be a flexible data handling layer so that data can be loaded, filtered sorted, updated, and synced.

So many of these "alternatives" just get your data to the glass and then... fugettaboutit!

And there would need to be drag and drop to reorder columns. Or in fact drag data between grids (again, this requires the dragging of semantic data. records)

The grid should be based upon a simpler dataview concept.

There would have to be menus which pop up, so a whole menuing system with z-index management.

It would have to be editable. So there's either a popup editor (dialogs) or inline Panel. There's form fields. So Combobox with its subtle complxities, date field etc etc.

Basically, there's no grid without a framework.

And people who sell one are selling you *more* work.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast