Thread: Ext Js 6.5 Differences Classic and Modern Toolkit

Sencha User

Default Ext Js 6.5 Differences Classic and Modern Toolkit

Hello together,

is there somewhere a documentation what are the differences between the classic and the modern toolkit?
    I want to create a web app for desktop but i can't decide what's the right toolkit when i dind't know the differences.

Thamks in advance

Sencha Premium User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by sadojo View Post
    Hello together,

is there somewhere a documentation what are the differences between the classic and the modern toolkit?
    I want to create a web app for desktop but i can't decide what's the right toolkit when i dind't know the differences.

Thamks in advance

Desktop is is exactly how it sounds, while modern replaced the sencha touch package initially. But do not think of modern as just mobile, because it's much more than that as the name implies it's the Modern framework which includes modern browsers allowing you to do things you can't typically do with older versions of browsers like IE9 .. IF you don't need to support anything below ie10-11, then choose modern. It has much more flexibility and you can create beautiful views for both and take advantage of modern technology like dynamic coloring etc. Plus your options out of the box are great. As time goes on you will eventually see a lot more parity between the two frameworks, with things more or less really shifting towards modern as time progresses.

IF the trend continues as it has for the past 1.5yrs or so, Modern gets a ton more love than classic/desktoip. Just look at the previous version notes and you can see the huge ratio between updates/fixes to modern vs classic.

In short, if you don't need to support legacy browsers and want to make use of the latest and greatest things from sencha and modern web technologies - ​choose modern!