Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stateful Components in 6.6 Modern

Sencha Premium Member

Default Stateful Components in 6.6 Modern

Hi All

I may be missing something completely ... but there appears to be no way to make stateful components in 6.6 Modern? For example storing the column width in a grid.

Is this hidden somewhere else?

Mark

Sencha Premium User mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Answers

We had stateful working in 6.6 prior to the acquisition but the 6.6 that was released was rebased off 6.5.3 so everything was "lost". There were a couple things that were able to get readded but that was more a lobbying effort by past engineers (I got the router stuff added back in from an old colleague still in Sencha). Looking at their latest roadmap, I do not see certain things like state in modern added. You may want to reach out to Sencha to tell them it's important to you.
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch
    Modus Create, Senior Fullstack Engineer

Check out my GitHub:
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

Sencha Premium Member

Thanks for the swift reply. That all seems a 'little odd'. With modern being pitched as 'the way forward', the current project is now my fourth attempt to do something useful in modern rather than classic. The previous three all had to be done in classic in the end due to missing features in modern.

Probably not something i can raise as a bug as it was never released :-)

Answers

Yes, this is something that has gotten me upset because I've worked on projects that fell into this as well. The issue here is Sencha's position on classic vs modern has changed since the acquisition with classic being the preferred toolkit going forward. Sure, it's Idera's right to change it but people like you are now hung out to dry a bit. They aren't ditching modern but not putting their efforts there.

6.5.0 was a huge undertaking with modern. Lots of that toolkit actually got rewritten and it took months of solid work. There were some great new features and better implementation of certain things to set us up for success going forward since modern was the toolkit that had the most promise. However, according to blogs about roadmaps, Idera's Sencha is going to move CSS layouts to classic (which I highly doubt will go smoothly but here's to hoping) and move some modern components into classic that aren't already there. They do have some things in the roadmap like tags/chips for modern targeted for 6.7 but Nige demo'd that in other forum threads that was already merged into the old 6.6 branch. I'm sure they didn't ditch that old branch, it's likely still in their GitHub repo but just renamed so they can cherry pick things as they understand them. There are some things I'm not sure many can grasp (like myself) like Phil Guerrant got some huge number of pixels to be scroll and perform as if there was some small number. I'm not talking like millions of pixels, way more than that. But that work was incredibly complex and when they rebased off 6.5.3, I have really high doubts that work will make the light of day.

But yes, their choice to do what they want, it's not the choice I would have made but I don't mean anything to them anyway

Check out my GitHub:

Sencha Premium Member

It feels a bit like "here we go again" ... being a long term sencha user, recent years has turned me from a sencha evangelist with fellow developers to someone that's hoping one of the open frameworks comes up with a full fat stack to lure me away.

Oh well ... back to classic I s'pose and hope they don't turn 7 with CSS (or whatever becomes) in to another dud release we all skip.

Sencha Premium Member

Hi Mitch, when I search for the term 'chips' in this forum only this comment of yours comes up. I am waiting for this chips feature for long, 6.7 was supposed to hit Q3 as I remember. Do you know if extjs 6.7 is going to be released anytime soon? Are the chips and state mgmt features finally added to the modern toolkit?

I know you aren't working at Sencha anymore but I still like reading your comments in this forum more than others's comments. I am one of those sencha users you described above.

Answers

I think pretty soon actually but I haven't had anyone tell me for sure.

So modern toolkit needed multi selected combo to enable things like chips and tags which Nige had done and planned for 6.6 before all our exits last year. Link here. The reason why it didn't go out with the actual 6.6.0 release is they pushed aside the planned 6.6.0 and started from their 6.5.3 release and are now adding in what was done into 6.6.0 and now 6.7.0.

Grid filtering and locking are other things that we had for 6.6.0 but they are releasing it in 6.7.0, altho I think locking was about 90% done so just needed some polishing off.

Check out my GitHub:

Sencha Premium Member

Thank you for your answer Mitch. I really appreciate all the information, help and opinions you've always shared.

I had already incorporated that Tags component you referenced in our project, it works and it really helped us.

Sencha Premium Member

Looking at Sandeeps blog announcement of 6.7, stateful components doesn't appear to have made it to the new release.

I have added a reply asking which framework is favoured going forward ... see it get any better visibility from those in power.

Sencha Premium User wemerson.januario's Avatar
    Answers

what blog post do you refer?
    Wemerson Januario @JanuarioCoder
    Novanti Tecnologia, Sencha MVP/ Ext JS Consultant

GitHub
    https://github.com/wemersonjanuario

Treinamento e Consultoria Ext JS. QUALIFIQUE-SE JÁ!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast