Thread: Make Official comment on Classic vs Modern

Default Make Official comment on Classic vs Modern

In reference to https://www.sencha.com/blog/sencha-roadmap-update/

Initially we had classic for desktop and modern for mobile.
    Modern updated component and became modern for newer browsers. So it became a toolkit for mobile, tablet, desktop... but without feature parity with classic toolkit.

Modern is getting new features each release it will have, like 90% feature parity, with classic on version 7 which will come on 2019. Also in 2019 classic will continue to grow.

There are some projects, not only mine you can see in forum, that transitioned to modern to transition to classic again because of missing features. This is a bit frustrating and also a lot of work.

In 2017 and 2018 Classic can still be used to support "old" browsers, css... but time is going by and soon, if not already, old browsers will not be used. So the future of classic is rare. In a previous roadmap there was a comment to "modernize" classic and use new css... which would become the same as modern.

I want to use modern because that's what you said the future was, but I can't because until 2019 it won't have many of the features used in classic, so i'm forced to use classic in some projects.

If I was project manager I would make an LTS of one of the toolkit's only solving bugs and would center only on one toolkit. I like open tooling and many things you are doing, but I honestly think is time wasted because at the end of the day I can use whatever tools you have, cmd, npm... but I have to work on giving my customers the best experience possible and that is with a nice rich framework with all features for all devices.

It would be nice to have an official statement of the future of this two toolkit's and let users know which one should they choose. EOL for windows 7 is January 2020, a year after version ExtJS 7. So what is going to happen? will classic converge to modern and make modern disappear? will modern get 100% feature parity with classic and classic will disappear?

Thanks
    Last edited by ogimenezb; 2 Oct 2018 at 1:10 AM. Reason: better tittle

Sencha Premium User mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Answers

I would agree that an official statement would be nice but seeing this forum lately I wouldn't be too confident that happens. They don't even make statements on comments in the blogs.

Prior to the acquisition, we said modern is where the new development would go and we took that opportunity to make better APIs and features. Like grid filters, they weren't just gonna be classic's ported over, they were gonna be more powerful while still being simple to configure and use for end users yet scale up for advanced users. The reason modern was chosen is the CSS based layouts and the fact that we would have to do a lot of work on modern giving us opportunities to improve the framework that classic wouldn't.

I was saddened with Idera's first roadmap (which I applaud for them putting out, old management never wanted that kind of transparency) they were deprioritizing modern in favor of classic even with saying they were going to ditch the layout system. This layout replacement seems to be gone from their current updated roadmap so I'm not sure if they rethought things (as it would have been extremely problematic and not backwards compatible) or if this was just something that was left off as it seems to be a bigger pivot bringing uncertainty. Could just be they lumped things together and not showing a more detailed list of things, uncertainty. They have a list but it may not be a full detailed list but not having layouts on it anymore is telling something.

The web components stuff likely wouldn't be that hard and in fact would likely work like ExtReact where something else provides where to render and Ext JS still handles all it's own rendering. That allows you to claim you support it without actually doing a ton of work to actually support it. I created an example of this back in April 2017:

Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch
    Modus Create, Senior Frontend Engineer

Check out my GitHub:
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

@mitchellsimoens thanks for your response. You are always there for all of us helping us although you are not in Sencha any more. I really appreciate that!!!

Maybe you can help me with all the knowledge you have from having worked with the internals.

If I choose Classic for desktop instead of Modern because of features... what's the negative impact overall?
    Is just code? if then modern goes on I will have to change toolkit's and that's time consuming
    Is it speed? Modern css layout will render quicker. Maybe other optimizations also un javascript.

Besides that, I think is touch enabled so you can use in tablet and for phone I can use universal with modern.

Is it just that or is there something else I'm missing.

I really like how coworkee is designed and how it uses profiles, but if I have to wait another year for more parity then universal would be the way to go. lol

Thanks!!!

Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ogimenezb View Post
    I honestly think is time wasted because at the end of the day I can use whatever tools you have, cmd, npm... but I have to work on giving my customers the best experience possible and that is with a nice rich framework with all features for all devices.
    You are 1000% correct.

We would have had Modern at 100% feature parity plus a lot of extra functionality by now had we just been allowed to continue. There has been developmental stasis for over a year.

I mean the functionality for locked grids, multiselect, grid filters, nine billion pixel scrolling and statefulness have been in the codebase for over a year now and what have they released? A few features written prior to the takeover.

Sencha Premium User mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Answers

Classic vs modern, there isn't a single answer I can give you. If modern has all the features you need, I would always choose modern if you are going to use 6.5+. We did a ton of work for 6.5.0 to set modern up for the future including rewriting dataview/list/grid. The layouts will be quicker thanks to the browser doing the work with CSS instead of JavaScript. However, if you required screen reader support, classic is the only one with ARIA support. Modern has some ARIA support but not flushed out like classic had been.

Like Nige said, locking grid, state and multiselect combo are some bigger missing features in modern. I wish they would have let us keep working on 6.6 to get these out as some were about 90% done and better than the classic counterpart (e.g. modern grid locking had both side locking, not just left like classic). Classic did get touch support as we had marketed tablet support and therefor nothing stopping you from using it on a phone, the weight of the application may be too much for some phones but I haven't seen an apples to apples comparison of classic vs modern on a phone so just my best guess there.

I do wonder what the future of Ext JS will be like. They are saying they will support real classes that came with ES6 and tbh we had toyed around with it and showed it at the last SenchaCon but that is quite a bit of work. I hope at that point they move away from JS layouts since CSS has come a long way. They have to be careful to not overpromise too. Ext JS is a large beast and not just anyone can architect it which is why I think they do certain things to claim they support it but it's more a bridge, like I had said about web components. I'm fine with a bridge as an intermediary step but of course a line item on a roadmap isn't going to tell you all that much.
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch
    Modus Create, Senior Frontend Engineer

Check out my GitHub:
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

Thanks!

I think you are right there will be no comments from Sencha and we will have to just wait and see.

Bad for planing but apparently is the only way we have...