Thread: Either fix the documentation website or only offer offline docs.

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

Thumbs up Either fix the documentation website or only offer offline docs.

The ExtJS documentation site is a total mess. I don't get it. Why let such a crucial piece of your product fall to pieces like this?

You need to do one of two things:

1. Fix the documentation website, correct bad documentation and add missing information.
    2. Completely decommission the documentation website and offer offline-only documentation.

I can confidently say that I am embarrassed to be an ExtJS developer. Nice job, guys.

Sencha Premium User mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating

I do find it odd that you either want the documentation content itself fixed or just offer offline docs. Wouldn’t offline docs have the doc bugs in it?
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch
    Modus Create, Senior Frontend Engineer

Check out my GitHub:
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Not exactly. You would think that but I downloaded the docs yesterday and didn't see the same bugs that were live on the website.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

I have been tasked with looking over Sencha extjs. We have a person on out team that has used this tool in the past. I am starting to wonder what is going on. The latest version's documentation is very incomplete. It looks like they took the previous version doc and delete the stuff that did not pertain and did not add anything about the new stuff. He has been saying how great this software is but I am not seeing yet. Can anyone help me out?

Sencha Premium User mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by jmin91 View Post
    Not exactly. You would think that but I downloaded the docs yesterday and didn't see the same bugs that were live on the website.
    Interesting. They did redo the infrastructure behind the online docs so makes me wonder if when they did this, it wasn’t the latest version. I know their new IT department is kind of learning things by trial and error so wouldn’t surprise me.
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch
    Modus Create, Senior Frontend Engineer

Check out my GitHub:
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

Sencha - Support Team
    Vote Rating

I apologize for the issues that you have seen in the docs. We're working hard to make the docs publishing system better and easier for us to move new content to production. I found a bug in the publishing system the other day and the AWS sync became inconsistent while trying to repair it too. The sync between s3 buckets stopped working for some reason. I repaired it with a full sync. Long story short, with over 80G of doc resources it takes a while to bring the consistency back into order. There some more build tuning going on to speed things up in the future, so we can repair inconsistencies faster.

Overall, the bug is fixed and the docs should be back up in running. If you do see an issue, feel free to ping me anytime and I'll see it gets fixed.

By the way, we are looking to open up the docs build code down the road. We're going to work hard to make things better. Thanks for reporting the issue!

Thanks,
    Brandon Donnelson
    Product Architect