Thread: Ext 6.6 documentation and examples

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Default Ext 6.6 documentation and examples

Are the examples running in ext 6.6? I am having trouble doing much of anything with new tooling as there is no documentation. I am trying to learn/evaluate extjs..... should I revert to an older version?

Sencha - Product Team
    Answers
    Vote Rating

Hi troy,

Have you looked at getting started guide?
    https://docs.sencha.com/extjs/6.6.0/...n_tooling.html

We are working on creating new tutorial to support open tooling that will be out soon.
    Thx,
    Sandeep

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Yeah I looked over this stuff and did the examples but it is really simple. I am trying to get the coworkee app going as I was told this is a good example of a exjs app. I used the ext-gen upgrade example and it falls apart quickly because coworkee extends a sencha theme. I thinks that this is a sencha package and does not pull the package from packages/local/cowrokee. So I went about trying to convert this to a proper npm package but I can't really find how to do this. The package documentation has NOTHING in the sencha docs.

So any docs on how to do this? It seems sencha used to have to have good docs and examples but now there is NOTHING. I don't see how anyone could adopt this framework in its current state.

Sencha Premium User mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Answers
    Vote Rating

So the new tools won’t work the existing theme and packages from Cmd? If that’s true, that’s a bit worrying and will likely limit usage to only new apps which I would assume has gone down in numbers.
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch
    Modus Create, Senior Frontend Engineer

Check out my GitHub:
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    So the new tools won’t work the existing theme and packages from Cmd? If that’s true, that’s a bit worrying and will likely limit usage to only new apps which I would assume has gone down in numbers.
    Me not being able to make it work is not a determination as to it working or not as I have no idea what I am doing.

I took the coworkee app and stripped it down to just the menu and theme. I then ran the ext-gen upgrade on it.
    Code:
     /**
         * The Sencha Framework for this application: "ext" or "touch".
         */
      "framework": "ext",
      /**
         * The toolkit to use. Select either "classic" or "modern".
         */
      "toolkit": "modern",
      /**
         * The name of the theme for this application.
         */
      "theme": "coworkee",
    npm installnpm ERR! code E404
    npm ERR! 404 Not Found: @sencha/ext-modern-coworkee@^6.6.0

running npm install it is assuming that this theme is a sencha theme and not getting it from <app>/packages/local/coworkee

I can't find any docs on how to tell npm install.... to find this package in the local folder or how to change the package to conform to the NPM standard.

If i had more experience with node/npm I may be able to figure this out and maybe sencha is assuming people have this experience.

Sencha Premium User
    Answers
    Vote Rating

I think the documentation provided by Sandeep made it clear...

Step 2: Create a New Ext JS Application
    If you are new to Ext JS , or do not have an existing application, we recommend using the Sencha ExtGen tool to create a new Ext JS application. Use the following command to install Sencha ExtGen on your machine
    I disagree with Mitch on this. Because it doesn't not supporting existing apps as a reason to be troubling. The conversion to ext-gen will take some time. But yes at this time I think they are clear there is not a path from an existing app to the upcoming npm.

I believe over time Sencha will get the open tooling model compatible with existing apps.

Answers
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by aallord View Post
    I disagree with Mitch on this. Because it doesn't not supporting existing apps as a reason to be troubling. The conversion to ext-gen will take some time. But yes at this time I think they are clear there is not a path from an existing app to the upcoming npm.

I believe over time Sencha will get the open tooling model compatible with existing apps.
    I don't mind disagreements, we all see the world in different colors.

The way I see it is their greatest asset right now is the existing customer base that has existing apps that are likely to be quite large. Starting new apps to support these new tools may not get priority if current Cmd is working for them. This means they have to support the new tools and Cmd unless they want to make a blunder and stop support for Cmd to force the new tools. I say blunder because it's just like when frameworks/libraries have big breaking changes like what Ext JS went thru from v3 to v4 and the smaller breakages in other releases but also Angular got hit from v1 to v2. The new tools would have to have something that would energize them to move away from Cmd if Cmd is working for them.

I personally haven't seen a reason why they do not support backwards compatibility with Cmd. Maybe I haven't kept up with the new tools so haven't read existing documentation on it. If it's just "packages reside in node_modules and not in packages" then great, you do support backward compat just with an "upgrade" step (once again, haven't spent much time with new tools so not sure where the packages reside).

Check out my GitHub:

Sencha Premium User
    Answers
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    I don't mind disagreements, we all see the world in different colors.

The way I see it is their greatest asset right now is the existing customer base that has existing apps that are likely to be quite large. Starting new apps to support these new tools may not get priority if current Cmd is working for them. This means they have to support the new tools and Cmd unless they want to make a blunder and stop support for Cmd to force the new tools. I say blunder because it's just like when frameworks/libraries have big breaking changes like what Ext JS went thru from v3 to v4 and the smaller breakages in other releases but also Angular got hit from v1 to v2. The new tools would have to have something that would energize them to move away from Cmd if Cmd is working for them.

I personally haven't seen a reason why they do not support backwards compatibility with Cmd. Maybe I haven't kept up with the new tools so haven't read existing documentation on it. If it's just "packages reside in node_modules and not in packages" then great, you do support backward compat just with an "upgrade" step (once again, haven't spent much time with new tools so not sure where the packages reside).
    From what I've managed to discover so far; current intent is to support backward compatibility even within Architect projects. The open tooling just hasn't made the jump yet and will become a long run rather than immediately reaching compatibility.

Other than that, I clearly understand and agree on points such as existing vs. the number of new apps fitting the business model... Sencha is attempting improvement and does have to start someplace... We just need to be a bit more patient and see where this goes in the future.

Answers
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by aallord View Post
    We just need to be a bit more patient and see where this goes in the future.
    This is another thing I feel they need to do better to hang onto people like myself that are being very cautious with them as they have been transparent in certain places (like releasing a roadmap which I've applauded them before) but haven't been or haven't been in a meaningful way. You shouldn't have to discover on your own what they seem to be wanting for these new tools. You may have understood something wrong or missed something and it shouldn't be a surprise right now that people are watching what they say or don't say. Call the new tools alpha and say what the finish line for a 1.0 is and if you have things you want for a 1.1 or 2.0 then that's called a roadmap where you would outline these sorts of things and I don't see anything like you say here or here.

I've loved Ext JS for over 10 years now, I don't want to see it go away but it's things like these new tools and my (maybe wrong) assumptions could go to kill it off. I've been part of projects that have Ext JS involved that are looking to move away from it let alone move to new tooling.

Check out my GitHub: