Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: State of Sencha address

Sencha User

@tangix - I have to ask... what are you looking to move to for other new projects? I did the same thing regarding using EXTJS for a project because of time constraints. I purchased a new license just to knock out a project but if I had time I would have liked to try something new. I used EXTJS in a previous job so I already had experience.

Also I really like it and have not found anything that can do what it can do... but with that said I don't think it is going to get any better and will eventually be irrelevant.

-Mark

Sencha Premium User

I've completed it now. The bit about it being based on the best grid really isn't true. There are superior grids out there and the Modern Grid is woefully lacking. Having said that I personally, in my limited exposure to web technologies, still see ExtJs as the most complete and easy-to-use package for browser UI out there. I've looked at alternate technologies in case Extjs dies and I can't find anything as good. I suspect that there is life in the old dog yet if it's properly managed. I was pleased to see the admission that quality has been poor. I have had so many issues with the clearly-untested-and-not-fit-for-release Themer and virtually no support. Extjs 6.7 was a poor quality release. I haven't seen any increased support/engagement on the fora yet. An indicator of their good intentions would be when Mitchell says "they asked to re-hire me"...

Sencha User

Quote Originally Posted by mcg1103 View Post
    @tangix - I have to ask... what are you looking to move to for other new projects? I did the same thing regarding using EXTJS for a project because of time constraints. I purchased a new license just to knock out a project but if I had time I would have liked to try something new. I used EXTJS in a previous job so I already had experience.

Also I really like it and have not found anything that can do what it can do... but with that said I don't think it is going to get any better and will eventually be irrelevant.
    From my experience DevExtreme from DevExpress is a good alternative. They offer a large amount of modern, feature rich, easy to use UI widgets, good documentation and examples, good customer support plus integration with many modern frameworks including Angular, React, Vue and ASP.NET. Check it out to see if it fits your needs.

Sencha Premium User

That's a good link to DevExtreme - thanks... of course the devil is very much in the detail and whilst things look very good in demo mode once you start using them in anger you discover the the lack of depth / functionality or inadequate performance. However it seems to have everything. Just found a bug when using the demo mind you!

Sencha User

Quote Originally Posted by gwyn_carwardine View Post
    Just found a bug when using the demo mind you!
    They recently released a new major version. There are some minor bugs. What was the bug you discovered?

Sencha Premium User

Quote Originally Posted by hakimio View Post
    They recently released a new major version. There are some minor bugs. What was the bug you discovered?
    Horizontal scrolling in a grid which has row selection turned on:
    https://codepen.io/Gwyn_C/pen/KLGJgW?&editable=true
    Click in cell 4-1 to select the 4th row. Highlights the row. Now try scrolling horizontally (I was using mouse scroll wheel whilst holding shift) - keeps occasionally scrolling back to the first column. Click in cell 8-61 (for example) and horizontal scrolling works fine.

Sencha User

Quote Originally Posted by gwyn_carwardine View Post
    Horizontal scrolling in a grid which has row selection turned on:
    https://codepen.io/Gwyn_C/pen/KLGJgW?&editable=true
    Click in cell 4-1 to select the 4th row. Highlights the row. Now try scrolling horizontally (I was using mouse scroll wheel whilst holding shift) - keeps occasionally scrolling back to the first column. Click in cell 8-61 (for example) and horizontal scrolling works fine.
    You can report the issue in their support center to see how fast it is addressed.

Sencha Premium User

Excellent idea. Let's see how the support compares...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12