Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update GPL version of Sencha Ext JS to 7.0

Default Update GPL version of Sencha Ext JS to 7.0

The Sencha GPL policy for Ext JS is that major releases, such as 7.0. But the download link points to 6.2.0. I think it's time to updat the GPL version to 7.0

Ext Support Team

Hello Rafael,

Thank you for contacting Sencha Support!

We raised bug under reference number DOCS-628 to get this updated, thank you for bringing this to our notice.

Regards,
    Kumar
    Sencha Support.

Sencha Premium User

I'm glad you're considering this, but how is it a DOCS issue? Are all issues under DOCS now?

Sencha Premium User mitchellsimoens's Avatar

I've actually heard that a GPL release will happen, just a matter of time but I think it's it's sooner than later.
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch
    Modus Create, Senior Fullstack Engineer

Check out my GitHub:
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

Sencha User

Well, that are exceptionally good news ;-)
    If someone has more information about that - please feel free to share :-D
    Thorsten Mller
    IT-Consulting, Bonn

Sencha Premium User mitchellsimoens's Avatar

Looks like GPL will be mid October... course things can change but that's the word. At least they are getting a GPL release out, I commend them on that.
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch
    Modus Create, Senior Fullstack Engineer

Check out my GitHub:
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

Sencha User

Thanks for the info Mitchell :-)
    Thorsten Mller
    IT-Consulting, Bonn

It feels pretty mid-October.

When I'd asked in early September, the info I was given was that ExtJS 7.1 would be the GPL release, and it'd ship "before the end of the year".

I'm hoping the nightmare of being totally stuck on ExtJS 5.1.1 (due to totally missing stuff/no replacements on 6.2.0) is finally over very soon.

Being stuck on the same falling-apart version for nearly 5 years hasn't done good things. I hope Sencha will revisit their GPL support in the future, because going that long between usable framework releases is quite absurd for open source projects that want to survive.

Sencha User

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoddessInari View Post
    Being stuck on the same falling-apart version for nearly 5 years hasn't done good things. I hope Sencha will revisit their GPL support in the future, because going that long between usable framework releases is quite absurd for open source projects that want to survive.
    If you want to use open source frameworks, might be a good idea to finally learn Angular, React or Vue.

Quote Originally Posted by hakimio View Post
    If you want to use open source frameworks, might be a good idea to finally learn Angular, React or Vue.
    That's really ridiculously patronizing, dismissive, and uneducated, you know. It wasn't my choice what framework was used for an older open source standalone application, and just because I know other frameworks doesn't mean that others are particularly reasonable a fit, or that changing tens of thousands of lines of code is something that's especially reasonable for me to spend an unlimited amount of time by myself on just because I inherited a project.

Sencha really hasn't holding up its end for GPL updates.

It makes more sense to rewrite from the ground up in another, better language, if you must know, but I'm still helping other open source dependencies get fixed and more usable first because it makes no sense to depend on sand instead of a solid foundation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast