Thread: Re workspaces still useful in extJs 7.0?

Sencha Premium Member mcCrimson's Avatar

Default Re workspaces still useful in extJs 7.0?

I have two apps that are going to be run off mostly the same packages and the the same framework. Looking back into workspaces because we haven't used them since we upgraded to extjs 5, and I think the structure would benefit this particular development need.

The documentation for workspaces in the extjs 7.0 documentation references sencha touch, which leads me to think that this documentation hasn't been touched in a while. (https://docs.sencha.com/cmd/7.0.0/gu...orkspaces.html)

Is the information in the documentation still relevant to sencha best practices? Are workspaces still a supported structure and will they continue to be supported?

Hi,

i have two apps in my workspace both using the same local packages, it works just fine.
    I am still using sencha CMD, it is not clear to me how i can transition to open tooling.
    I have not found any Documentation about multiapp workspaces or packeges with open tooling.

We are still using cmd, I just really want documentation for the feature that has been touched since extJS 4.

Sencha User

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian.GESS View Post
    Hi,

i have two apps in my workspace both using the same local packages, it works just fine.
    I am still using sencha CMD, it is not clear to me how i can transition to open tooling.
    I have not found any Documentation about multiapp workspaces or packeges with open tooling.
    I agree Sebastian.... there is no documentation. I think this is partially because the tooling is open.... the expectation is that if you know how node.js packages work it would be obvious how the open tooling would work. I don't know much about node.js packages.... so I have stuck with sencha cmd as well.

Would be nice to have someone at Sencha put together a how to on moving from sencha command to open tooling or whatever is expected. I think there is still a place for sencha command even with open tooling... is that correct?

I think the open tooling is for pulling in packages from the various repositories similar to maven.....

My guess is that no one from sencha will read this ..... right.... sencha .... you out there?

I think nowadays they only react to premium tickets.. :/
    I reported a bug on this forum that is also present in thier examples, no reaction until i made a ticket in the support portal.

In my opinion sencha packages are a speacial case, especially when you use them together with the ext package loader.
    There is a webpack derivative but it would be nice to have a guide, blockpost or whatever for existing customers that want to transition over to open tooling.
    Now more then ever, since 7.0 they recommend using open tooling in new projects.

Quote Originally Posted by mcg1103 View Post
    I agree Sebastian.... there is no documentation. I think this is partially because the tooling is open.... the expectation is that if you know how node.js packages work it would be obvious how the open tooling would work. I don't know much about node.js packages.... so I have stuck with sencha cmd as well.

Would be nice to have someone at Sencha put together a how to on moving from sencha command to open tooling or whatever is expected. I think there is still a place for sencha command even with open tooling... is that correct?

I think the open tooling is for pulling in packages from the various repositories similar to maven.....

My guess is that no one from sencha will read this ..... right.... sencha .... you out there?
    Looking into all this now. It seems with 6.6 they were pushing out ext-build, but it's only available for 6.6 and requires that version of cmd (because it wraps node around cmd and makes the same calls).