Thread: ST is not able to use local browsers

freightgateone

Default Answered: ST is not able to use local browsers

I have got several local browsers installed on my machine as you can see in the following picture local browsers.jpg

All of them are launchable vie the brwosers tab, yet they are not displayed when launching a test, see this picture usable.jpg

Only immediately after launching all of them from the browsers tab, 2 of them are displayed as possible options, note the windows taskbar aswell afterlaunching.jpg

When I then try to run the test using one of the 2 new browers, the following console log appears:

Code:
    107    0:22:50.651    [ERR]    Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'browser' of undefined
    Why can't I use all of the installed browsers and what could be the problem with the TypeError?

2. Switching the test type from WebDriver to In-browser in the advanced settings when creating a new scenario sure helps a lot.

Note: this option is apparently only available from the Developer view and not the automation enginerers

freightgateone

Switching the test type from WebDriver to In-browser in the advanced settings when creating a new scenario sure helps a lot.

Note: this option is apparently only available from the Developer view and not the automation enginerers
    Last edited by freightgateone; 17 Sep 2019 at 2:41 PM. Reason: providing further information

Sencha - Sales Team daniel.gallo's Avatar
    Answers

I'd recommend reading this guide, which explains the differences between WebDriver and In-Browser scenarios: https://docs.sencha.com/sencha_test/...webdriver.html.

The Test Engineer / Automation Engineer role limits you to WebDriver scenarios, as those types of users typically undertake end-to-end testing which leverages just the Sencha Test APIs.

With the Developer role selected, you are able to choose between WebDriver and In-Browser. In-Browser is aimed at unit and functional testing, typically carried out by developers who are writing tests against the underlying Ext JS app code.

The tests run differently between the two types of scenarios, and that's described in the guide above. Also, please note that In-Browser tests don't allow physical page navigation (e.g. navigating from a physical login page to another physical page), whereas page navigation is supported on WebDriver scenarios.

When you have WebDriver selected as the scenario type, your tests are run in a sandbox, isolated from the browser. WebDriver is used to communicate with the browser, and you are limited to just using "ST." and Jasmine APIs. This is more suited to end-to-end testing. This does give you some nice features though - your WebDriver test suites can leverage Node's "require" capability to leverage different Node modules, as described here: https://docs.sencha.com/sencha_test/...re_syntax.html.

The way browsers are launched is different. With WebDriver, an embedded Selenium Server is started, and it uses the included ChromeDriver to communicate with your installed version of Chrome. If you need additional browsers for WebDriver scenarios, you will need to use a custom standalone Selenium Server and configure the various browser drivers, as described here: https://docs.sencha.com/sencha_test/...m_servers.html. With In-Browser scenarios, a proxied version of the app is launched in the browser and the app code and tests, along with the Sencha Test library is all injected in to the proxied version of the app that runs in-browser. Locally installed browsers are automatically detected and listed for In-Browser tests, which is why you would see more browsers using that type of scenario, as Selenium Server is not being used: https://docs.sencha.com/sencha_test/..._browsers.html.
    Daniel Gallo
    Senior Solutions Architect
    Sencha Inc.

Sencha - Sales Team daniel.gallo's Avatar
    Answers

Are you currently doing an evaluation of Sencha Test? If so, I'd be happy to schedule an online demo to go through some of these concepts in more detail, and answer any other questions. Feel free to send me a private message with the best contact info.
    Daniel Gallo
    Senior Solutions Architect
    Sencha Inc.