Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get a reply to your question quickly?

Sencha - Community Support Team jsakalos's Avatar
    Vote Rating

Lightbulb How to get a reply to your question quickly?

Hi there,

I've been on this forum for several weeks, first asking questions, developing my app meanwhile and now, having learned some bits and pieces of Ext, I'm trying to help. I know the feelings of confusion of beginners very well; I'd been one a couple of weeks ago. Now, I also know the feelings of the person trying to help if he/she should reply to a query of type: "Please help, my grid doesn't work!".

Well, what to do then? What information is needed to help effectively? Here you are:

1. Never try to get help on this forum before you have invested a reasonable effort into making it working yourself. Play with examples, study their codes, try to adjust them for your needs and study the documentation. If you don't the only reply you can get is a backflash of a productive guy who feels this laziness.
    2. Develop in Firefox and install Firebug. Yes, your application should be cross browser, Ext provides for that and you finally check it in Opera, Safari or IE but while developing the best I know is Firefox/Firebug combination.
    3. Write a descriptive title for your new thread. Avoid meaningless titles like Please help!! or Why this don't work?, that convey nothing about the nature of your specific problem and thus are very unlikely to catch the attention of a potential (but busy) helper. Also, to help with searches, try to spell correctly at least the title words of your post.
    4. Always provide the intended final behavior and/or look of the application you are developing. It is much, much, much easier to give a qualified advice for a potential helper if he/she knows what are you trying to achieve.
    5. Provide the part of code that you think is causing troubles enclosed in [PHP][/PHP] or [CODE][/CODE] tags. Do not post whole application; it is too much to read and understand for a helper so he/she can easily ignore posts with lengthy code. Don't worry, if you post irrelevant part of code the helper will ask what is needed.
    6. Provide error messages (if any) produced by Firebug.
    7. Explain what you have already done or tried in the attempt to make your application working. Maybe you have tried all possibilities and you have discovered a bug.
    8. After you recieve a reply, accept this reply in that that you do/try what was adviced. If you get reply: "Read the doc part XY" then Read the doc partXY.
    9. Don't get angry or nervous if you get a wrong advice. The helper is also human being that can make mistakes but he/she made a genuine attempt to advance you to your goals. "Hey, your solution doesn't work" is sufficient in this case as it advances also the helper.

Don't take these advices as official policies of this forum as I'm not the Ext team member. I'm just one of you who sometimes needs help and sometimes can help.

Happy coding!

PS: See also this link: Private Messaging, The use of
    Last edited by mystix; 3 Aug 2007 at 2:12 AM. Reason: emphasized [php] / [code] tags. too many ppl are posting pigeon scratchings...
    Jozef Sakalos, aka Saki

Education, extensions and services for developers at new http://extjs.eu
    News: Grid MultiSearch Plugin, Grid MultiSort Plugin, Configuring ViewModel Hierarchy

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

jsakalos, thanks for this list. It's good for new forum posters to have a set of guidelines like these.

I'd like to add another, basic rule: write a descriptive title for your new thread. Avoid meaningless titles like Please help!! or Why this don't work?, that convey nothing about the nature of your specific problem and thus are very unlikely to catch the attention of a potential (but busy) helper. Also, to help with searches, try to spell correctly at least the title words of your post.

Also, I want to thank you for being a very active member and helping people a lot during the last weeks. I remember my thought when I began seeing your many contributions: "what's this? we have another 'js' writing a lot in this forum!"

I'm sure you would be an excellent contributor to the Ext wiki, which unfortunately is still not active... but we hope it will have a rebirth soon.

Vote Rating

efege

thank you for your commendation and contribution to rules. I'm right now taking your text and adding it to the rules above so it doesn't get lost.
    Jozef Sakalos, aka Saki

News: Grid MultiSearch Plugin, Grid MultiSort Plugin, Configuring ViewModel Hierarchy

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

One thing that is also quite helpful is providing a complete page of code that can be dropped into an existing directory in the Ext structure without modification. It doesn't have to be a lot of code (it should be the minimum amount required to show the problem), but it should work as-is. For example, if you drop a page into the /examples folder, all script/css references relative to that folder will work the same for everyone. This makes life much easier for someone trying to help than having to try to reconstruct your page from code snippets, and will make your getting a helpful response much more likely. If you are expecting someone to invest the time to help you, please invest some time in helping them to help you

Vote Rating

Yes, you're absolutely right Brian.

However, I would prefer if this complete page would be provided on the request only. While trying to help I was able to see what's problem from ca 70% of descriptions and/or code snippets and ca 10% I could simulate through Firebug console only.

For the rest, we can ask user to post the whole page with all qualities you describe in your post.

Thanks a lot for contributing.
    Jozef Sakalos, aka Saki

Vote Rating

If you are expecting someone to invest the time to help you, please invest some time in helping them to help you.
    This I like very much.
    Jozef Sakalos, aka Saki

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Default How to post a topic here?

How to post a topic here? Seems I can only reply to the existing ones. Thanks!

Vote Rating

Click on Help Forum and you will see the list of existing threads. Then click "New thread" button above and left of the list, write your post and click submit.
    Jozef Sakalos, aka Saki

Ext User
    Vote Rating

I agree all the things said here....

The people on this forum have helped me a lot, so I always try to post as clearly as possible.

One of the things I started doing lately is when my problem is solved are the following:

• When posting a question use the question mark as icon for your thread
    • When you find the solution, post it in the thread for others to see and to help them who are struggling with the same problem
    • Change the thread name by adding [solved] in front of it
    • Change the Icon to thumbs up to make clear that it has been solved

So maybe a suggestion for others... I think it will help others find their solution faster for problems that already been solved

for everybody posting here!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast