Thread: license for using EXT-JS in a web site

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ext User
    Vote Rating

Default license for using EXT-JS in a web site

If I use EXT-JS 2.0 GPL licensed library in my web site which may be
    considered commercial website but does not charge money to its visitors,
    I do not have to buy commercial license?

In my scenario which I think is typical for most users of EXT-JS, I am not in
    the business of developing and distributing tool kits or software development libraries
    to redistribute EXT-JS. I am simply planning to use some of the widgets and ajax features in in EXT-JS in the web application on the website (under development and not released) . The
    EXT-JS library files would be served in minified form to the client.

I looked at the offical GPL web page but it does not make this use case clear at all.

I have the same above question regarding the use of Ext GWT 1.2 in above scenario.

I would appreciate any knowledgeable person(s) to answer this question as I could not find clear answer by googling.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

If http://extjs.com/products/license.php doesn't answer your questions, please email licensing@extjs.com

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Of course the link
    http://extjs.com/products/license.php
    does not answer my question as you can see.

Can some please post the answer in the forum. The answer can be
    beneficial to many other readers. After all what is the purpose
    of community forums if I have to go through private emailing?
    This also saves me time to go through emailing.

This is not confidential question but a question that would apply to any JavaScript based widgets library that is GPL'ed.

Vote Rating

ulgold,

Welcome to the community. I will attempt to answer your question, but keep in mind everyone's situation is unique. At Ext we believe in a share-alike philosophy. Which basically means, if you alter, transform, or build upon our work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or compatible license which you received it under.

If you are creating a website using Ext JS (not Ext Core) any derived works would need to be GPL'ed and open sourced. While you can distribute your code minified, you are required to place a unminified version of your source code in a prominent location so others can use, learn from, and modify the code in accordance with the freedoms in which you were able to create your application.

If you choose not to release the source code under the GPL, then we have commercial licenses that grant you that ability. There are many benefits to Ext and the GPL - an informed and growing community, the ability to look under the hood and kick the tires - try before you buy, etc.

I hope this helped. If you have any further questions, please send an email to licensing@extjs.com so they can address any specific questions you might have.

If you'd like to read more about the GPL, the FSF has a great FAQ here: http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html

San Diego, Peoples' Republic of California
    Vote Rating

Abe,

I read the question differently, and a public posting of the licensing terms would benefit all who read this.

Let me rephrase the question.

Assume I have a WWW site and I want to use ExtJS on the WWW pages it delivers. I don't want to redistribute my WWW site source code at all, just deliver pages to anyone authorized to view the site.

The site may be for profit, generating revenue from ads or subscriptions or product sales...

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by mschwartz View Post
    Abe,
    I don't want to redistribute my WWW site source code at all, just deliver pages to anyone authorized to view the site.

The site may be for profit, generating revenue from ads or subscriptions or product sales...
    In this use case, where the code is not licensed for use under the GPL, we would require a license.

The GPL doesn't distinguish distribution based on any financial circumstances. That said, at Ext, we have programs for non-profits -501(c)(3)'s and educational organizations seeking to use Ext JS under a proprietary license. As mentioned in my previous post, each use case is different.

If you need further clarification, please contact licensing@extjs.com or if you don't mind a slow response, you can PM me too.