Thread: [CLOSED][3.0rc2] Need to be able to have strict date parsing in DateField

Thank you for reporting this bug. We will make it our priority to review this report.
    Ext JS Premium Member

Default [CLOSED][3.0rc2] Need to be able to have strict date parsing in DateField

Lack of strict date parsing with the DateField is biting us in 2.2.1, and we get the unwanted date "rollover" behaviour.

I see that Date.parseDate() in 3.0 RC2 has a "strict" arg to prevent this, which is great.

However, a read of the 3.0 RC2 DateField source code shows that it always calls parseDate() without this arg, so the default strict=false will be applied.

So I log this as a bug, but I apologize if there's another way of getting strict parsing in DateField that I didn't spot.

Thanks.

This was already discussed here:
    http://www.extjs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71514

Personally I think it would make more sense to have a flag on the Date object to indicate whether to use strict parsing or not. I would assume the likelihood is that you'll want to stick with the one kind throughout an application.
    Twitter - @evantrimboli
    Former Sencha framework engineer, available for consulting.
    As of 2017-09-22 I am not employed by Sencha, all subsequent posts are my own and do not represent Sencha in any way.

i proposed a strict config for both the DateField and TimeField, along with a slew of bugfixes to resolve existing DST issues (in both the 2.x & 3.x branches), in the following threads:
    https://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?p=302310
    https://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?p=309913

in the 2 proposed fixes above, i intentionally made strict a config (which defaults to true since most ppl expect dates / times in DateFields/TimeFields not to rollover) at the DateField/TimeField-level to avoid breaking existing Date.parseDate() behaviour.

Additionally, most users only ever deal with Dates when fiddling with these 2 Components, so i thought it'd make more sense to have strict as a config there --- it's also easily overridden via Ext.override() --- and maintain strict as a simple 3rd argument in the Date.parseDate() method.

thoughts?
    Last edited by mystix; 24 Jun 2009 at 7:57 PM. Reason: edit - updated links

Ext User

If those are active bugs (either of them a DUP?) IMHO they should be moved to the 3.x forum where they'll garner more attention and a patch can be applied backwards as appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by mjlecomte View Post
    If those are active bugs (either of them a DUP?) IMHO they should be moved to the 3.x forum where they'll garner more attention and a patch can be applied backwards as appropriate.
    done. also updated the two links i referred to above to point to the redirected threads.

Ext JS Premium Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by evant View Post
    Personally I think it would make more sense to have a flag on the Date object to indicate whether to use strict parsing or not. I would assume the likelihood is that you'll want to stick with the one kind throughout an application.
    100% agreed. In our app we'd set that flag on each page, and leave it that way. Can't think of a possible scenario when sometimes we'd want rollover and sometimes not.

I've spoken with Marc about this and we came up with a compromise to suit both. Stay tuned.
    Twitter - @evantrimboli
    Former Sencha framework engineer, available for consulting.
    As of 2017-09-22 I am not employed by Sencha, all subsequent posts are my own and do not represent Sencha in any way.