View Poll Results: If you read it, did you find DirectJNgine User's Guide adequate?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

40 74.07%
  • No

14 25.93%
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3947484950 LastLast

Thread: Ext Direct Java based implementation

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by brainformance View Post
    Thank you for your response,unfortunetly we are not using spring and other java implementations seem a little unstable to me. We used 2.3 because of its CDI feature (which we had to rewrite anyway) so forking 2.2 may be a good idea.thank you.
    I am not using Spring either. If you do fork 2.2 it would be helpful to me, and possibly others, if you did so publicly.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Has anyone had any contact with the author of directjngine, and/or are they watching this?

Would like to see this make its way into github so that updates/refinements/improvements can continue. Project seems to have dropped in activity as of late. Also its not clear where the official source repository for this is either.

Does anyone know? I'd rather not fork to github without consent, but I think it needs a place to live so folks can collaborate on this going forward. code.google.com account doesn't appear to have the srcs so I'm really not sure what is going on with development of this very useful and powerful ext.direct impl.

--jason

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Default New DJN version

Hi,

I'm DJN creator, and I plan to release a new version in a few weeks. It will provide minor updates and changes, including using the latest jars for all third-party libraries -yes, commons-fileupload too.

If some versions of the newest libraries out there fails to pass all automated tests (it happened before), I will just upgrade to the latest versions that works.

Even though changes will be minor, I will probably bump DJN's version number to make it clear that the new version works with and supports ExtJs 5.x, which will be the officially supported version with the new release. The latest public version of DJN works ok with ExtJs 5.x for me and my customers (barring some test code, but that does not affect production code in any way), but let's make "official support" for 5.x stand out.

Of course, I plan to keep DJN up and running for the foreseeable future. I think it's working well for most of us, and I intend to keep it that way.

And, yes, I accept proposals for collaboration in Java+ExtJs related projects all around Europe or the USA, more so if they help me add new features to DJN or enhance existing ones.

Regards,
    Pedro Agulló, Barcelona (Spain) - pagullo.soft.dev at gmail.com
    Agile team building, consulting, training & development
    DirectJNgine: http://code.google.com/p/directjngine - Log4js-ext: http://www.softwarementors.com/projects/p/log4js-ext/

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by pagullo View Post
    And, yes, I accept proposals for collaboration in Java+ExtJs related projects all around Europe or the USA, more so if they help me add new features to DJN or enhance existing ones.
    Can we start with a place to collaborate on the source code, like a git repository so we can open pull-requests to help out with this project?

If there is any interested in getting snapshots published and/or releases int Maven Central, can probably help out with that too.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by jdillon@sonatype.com View Post
    Has anyone had any contact with the author of directjngine, and/or are they watching this?

Would like to see this make its way into github so that updates/refinements/improvements can continue. Project seems to have dropped in activity as of late. Also its not clear where the official source repository for this is either.

Does anyone know? I'd rather not fork to github without consent, but I think it needs a place to live so folks can collaborate on this going forward. code.google.com account doesn't appear to have the srcs so I'm really not sure what is going on with development of this very useful and powerful ext.direct impl.

--jason

Since you have contacted me via email I checked with the forum, and I think it will be better if I comment here about DJN's future. Others will probably be interested in this too

First of all, DirectJNgine (DJN) is alive, maintained and working (see my prior post about the new version soon to be released). In fact, latest version published is working ok with ExtJs 5.0 for me and others. Some test code was broken due to changes in ExtJs 5.0 (at least a change in some 4.x property name, if I recall correctly), but that has not affected any production code I know of. I doubt many people out there has even run the regression tests and noticed the small glitch introduced by 5.0.

When it comes to DJN's future, I intend to keep it alive and well for the foreseeable future, no doubt about it. I have spent many hundred hours nursing it, and since it is going strong, works and the community seems to benefit from the effort, there is no reason for me to drop it. Rather, I hope I could put more work hours into it, as I think there is place for more features.

To sum it up, I'm proud of DJN and will keep it alive and well.

What you guys must have noticed is that there is very little activity. The main reason why I am not very active with DJN is because it seems 95% of people I talk to that are using it is happy with the latest public version. Many more than I expected, as I thought the features in the last beta would stir more interest. Almost zero feedback came when the beta was published, and since DJN is quite mature, and given that I am not participating in many projects that will pay one way or the other for new or stronger features (reason number two for the little activity around DJN), I deemed it wise to "not fix it if ain't broken".

That's why I haven't upgraded the last beta to a production release, which is kind of a shame because it would have taken not that much effort -now, I run extra non-automated checks against several browsers, so not a five minutes thing to release, and very, very boring,

That said, the version that I'm working currently in will be released in a few weeks with full source code (the beta had no code because I wanted people to work with it "as-is" to focus in providing me with feedback, instead of tinkering with the code). I will probably place the source and other deliverables in some other place than google code.

Hopefully, this version will address some concerns regarding usage of outdated third party libraries, and some small issues. I should have fixed that, even though it took three or four lines to fix it, but it should have made into a new version to make everybody's life easier.

Now, let me change subject. What follows is maybe some kind of "inlined blog entry on collaboration in DJN development". It is all about what kind of collaboration I need for DirectJNgine to get better and more powerful, so most of you guys might want to skip that part, as it is mostly addressed to people and companies willing to contribute to DJN in a meaningful way.

With regards to collaboration, what I need is this:

a) Being able to devote more of my work time to DJN. No, really!

To make things clear, work is when you do that thing you are paid for. Sorry, but allocating weekend or after-work time to 'collaborate' is a no-no, we are professionals. If some company out there can provide me with a few paid hours a month, we might be able to collaborate in moving DJN forward in a way that benefits the company, the community (that's a must) and me (that's a must according to my wife, and I tend to consider it nice, too). Providing time for me to publish a public repository and manage it the way it should be managed (we are pros and know that publishing a project repository is not even 1% of it all), or implementing a declarative graph serialization/deserialization support system are candidates for collaboration, to name a few.

Now, I've had not much of a problem devoting my free time to DJN, and I'm willing to keep doing it, no problem. Let's just avoid calling that 'collaboration' or 'partnership'.

Let me elaborate about "managing" DJN. If you ask me, the key to managing code for a general purpose library such as DJN should be a lot like repeating "no test code, no code checked in" several times a day, and then making sure deeds follow words. If there is no one making sure this "way of life" is respected, things will go wrong sooner rather than later, no matter how many lines of code get contributed. Therefore, I've got no love for public forks. Besides, they are not an elegant thing to do. Let's forget about public forks, then.

Now, besides letting me put paid-for hours (which is what most of we do most of the time, there's no miracle in it), there are other ways to contribute/collaborate without spending a penny.

b) People providing additional tests for whatever is already there get a nod real-soon-now. Yeees, there are never tests enough. Now, I always get requests and proposals for tooling support, a shared source repository, Maven integration, etc., but nobody contributes tests. Maybe I should call them seat belts instead of tests .

c) People asking for bug fixes that can provide 1) test code highlighting the problem (there are 150 tests already there that can provide inspiration), 2) code that fixes the problem and 3) tests that makes sure the code is fixed and will remain fixed -or a test failure will rear its ugly head.

d) People writing a proposal and the tests for the new features we all want, and willing to negotiate both of them, instead of wanting to contribute the code and nothing but the code itself. I've written several proposal and rationales for enhancements to DJN in my blog, they can be used as a poor man's starting point.

e) People willing to test new functionality when it appears. I could have used a lot of help with testing Spring and CDI, but not many volunteered when I had time available for a meaningful interaction. I've got those nice Spring tests in green, but I for one would be much happier if more people out there using Spring+DJN had had a saying. Same with CDI.

Now, what I don't need is even more important than what I need, believe me.

I don't need to add things that make me spend more extra time learning or relearning, configuring or re-configuring or getting familiar again with more/better/faster tools/languages/configuration systems/whatevers. All of that is probably nice and great, and worth the effort...in a different context. I love bells and whistles a lot, but I love thoroughly stable projects to which *I* can come back in 10 minutes and be immediately productive. For DJN and now, adding a new build system, for example, is dead weight to me unless I can put hours enough to make it good for me. I understand it might not be so for others, but let's assume we all want to help me if only because I wrote all those lines in DJN and I'm probably the one that will keep the code rolling when all is said and done. Now, if somebody insists in helping with say Maven, please devise a way to integrate my poor-man's js<=>java testing infrastructure with it, and then integrate everything else without me having to do a rewrite or add more/better/faster code that will not affect the bottom line. *That* will get my attention and will make developing DJN easier for me here and now.

Righ now, starting a shared github thing or some other kind of *live* shared repository for DJN with the corresponding management it will require will be one of those things that makes my life more difficult while not helping me at all. That would be not a problem at all if I could guarantee I will have some time to bootstrap it all and then some time to coordinate it in a periodic way -now, if I can't coordinate, how the hell do we all collaborate? I never manage projects by 'just hoping for the best', and the fact is I can't provide a guarantee for continued + periodical availability, and the thing is DJN has done quite well they way it's been implemented, if you ask me.

Now, let me (and you) take a breath...I understand this "tough love" approach to code contributions and collaboration can and will get in the way from time to time, and it will be suboptimal from time to time too. *But* the fact is "tough love" has served the community exceedingly well. DJN has made through 6 or maybe even 7 years of new ExtJs releases, and well beyond half a dozen or so other competing Java libraries that appeared at the very beginning -some even before DJN was announced. DJN is here now, has evolved with ExtJs, and will keep growing and evolving, provided we don't try to overreach. The tough magic of "tough love" just works for DJN.

Now, no need to turn crazy about simple things, if you just want a line to log the value of a configuration parameter, I'm sure we can manage it without much fuss. Now, if you want something complex, write your request/proposal and your tests first, say something and be patient.

Now, enough of this sort of "inlined blog entry about collaborating", and back to what really interests 95% of all of us...

1) Rest assured that DJN is supported and will continue to be supported for the foreseeable future. It is just my baby, and I can't help but loving it.

2) A new version will be available in a few weeks, using the newest versions for third-party libraries -provided they pass all automated tests, no way around that.

3) I promise I will upgrade to the newest libraries more often, especially if there is some security issue, no matter how easy it is to fix it. Don't even mention commons fileupload to me, please, I'm already ashamed enough.

Besides, I have to touch base with Sencha regarding some other feature, which might or might not get through depending on how it goes.

Regards,

Pedro
    DirectJNgine: http://code.google.com/p/directjngine - Log4js-ext: http://www.softwarementors.com/projects/p/log4js-ext/

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Of course, I plan to keep DJN up and running for the foreseeable future. I think it's working well for most of us, and I intend to keep it that way.
    This is great news, but I agree that it would be really helpful for everyone (you included) if this could be moved to somewhere that made collaboration easier. GitHub would be an excellent home - we can all add our contributions there to resolve issues we come across and to add to the excellent functionality you have already provided. From what I can tell DJN is the only Java based Ext Direct implementation (that does not require Spring) that is in a fit state to be used (when some minor patches are applied - see my earlier posts).

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Default DirectJNgine 3.0 is out!

I have released DJN 3.0 today, officially supporting ExtJs 5.x.

You can check what's new in my blog post.

To download this new version of DirectJNgine, go to the new donwnloads page -older version you will find in the old downloads page in googlecode.

Regards!

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

I have released DJN 3.0 today, officially supporting ExtJs 5.x.
    Hi pagullo. It is certainly excellent news that you are putting your time and effort into maintaining DJN. Thanks!

It appears you have missed my post about using DJN wit Sencha Architect 3. If you would host your code in github (or similar) it would be much easier for others to provide publicly available patches for us each to decide whether or not to apply. It would not change your level of control - only you would have the right to apply the patches to your original version of DJN, but you and everyone else could benefit from the combined efforts of us all to come up with fixes and enhancements without them getting lost in this crazy long forum thread.

For a small investment in setup time you could gain the benefit of others contributing to your creation. I and probably others would be able to assist if you wanted help.

Thanks again for the update and the upgrade.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by seade View Post
    Hi pagullo. It is certainly excellent news that you are putting your time and effort into maintaining DJN. Thanks!

It appears you have missed my post about using DJN wit Sencha Architect 3.
    Thanks!

I do not plan to support Sencha Architect. I don't own it, and right now I do not plan to use it and much less to keep buying it as new versions appear. Therefore, I can't test and guarantee that this feature works today and continues working tomorrow, when new versions of Architect appear. I'm not fond of adding features I can't test tomorrow.

Why don't you write a blog entry or add a github project that explains how to patch DJN? Might be very useful for the community, and you already wrote that post, so you've got 95% of the work done

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

This thread seems to have had no updates for a year and a half. Does this mean DirectJNgine is basically dead? The code is nowhere to be found, download links don't work etc. That being the case it looks like extdirectspring might be the only viable option at this point - all other ones seem to be abandoned projects.

Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3947484950 LastLast