Hi Jack, I have discovered EXTjs recently, and already started to do a site/system with the 1.1 Beta 1 (standalone). I tried with 1.0.1 and Prototype but the bug with loadScripts bugged me too.
My Linux systems (desktop and workstation) are newer (Mandriva Linux 2007.1) and users utf-8 charset but my server are more old systems (Mandriva Linux 2005/6) that uses ISO-8859-15.
My firefox was displaying %^$# in the place of accentuated chars, so I actualized the locale file and changed all accentuated characters by HTML special entities ( like &eecute; ).
All also did a dos2unix conversion on file to cut out the ^M from the end of lines.
The file, if you like to add it to 1.1, is attached:
Thanks for this great library and now (1.1) this great Framework.