Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ext Best Practices (load script or inline?)

violinista, I'm not saying to not use HTML and others. I say that loading javascript asynchronously when you need it adds another level of complexity on top of something (web development) already very complex.

Sorry for my English which is very approximative

This has been a long thread about loading pages with only a mention about user experience from Animal. When building anything you need to think like a user. In my experience users are ok with the following:
    - An initial load time that is a little longer if that means the app is more responsive for the rest of the session.
    - The app can do stuff that takes more time if the user is told that things are going on and they shouldn't worry. We will want them to start their clicking again in just a second.
    - Users like things that look warm and fuzzy. I have been shocked at how much our users love some of the little animation touches. This is one of the advantages of Ext, it is warm and fuzzy straight out of the box.

I'm surprised to hear that some newbies don't feel like they are getting responses from the community. People like Animal seem to be answering questions constantly. And, by the way, Jack averages close to 50 posts a day. The majority of which seem to be in threads from non-premium members.

I also want to say that Ext is incredibly well written and elegant across the board. Every time Jacks makes an improvement my code gets better. I haven't seen anything that compares on this topic.

cluettr, if you are still having grid problems feel free to send me a note. I wouldn't mind helping. I have several grids on a page within some tabs. I destroy and recreate all the time in ie6.

Thank you for the offer marstrong. I've resolved my grid issues... Having installed the latest version it went away : )

I do want to respond to your comment:

Code:
    I'm surprised to hear that some newbies don't feel like they are getting responses from the community. People like Animal seem to be answering questions constantly. And, by the way, Jack averages close to 50 posts a day. The majority of which seem to be in threads from non-premium members.
    Personally I feel like the repsonse I am getting here is absolutely top notch. What I've tried to do in a few of my posts is offer some input. Some of those things have been the following:

1) For a newbie their is an expense to jumping into Ext.js. One will need to invest time to get their head around it. I'm in this situation myself. Thankfully the progress I've made with learning Ext.js increases significantly with each turn... Partly due to my own persistance and partly due to the help on the forums.

2) That examples are the key to my personal learning. If you give me code I can tear it apart and break it down much more quickly than piecing things together. So one of my posts did offer my perspective on how to speed the learning process up for developers like me. A full blown app with source code that uses all of the features of Ext.js would be excellent...

3) Care needs to be taken when deciding Ext.js is going to be at the core of your application. If you are someone who: does not understand a server side language like PHP, have not at least used another javascript package similar to this one (Ajax), and coded javascript on your own without an advanced package like Ext.js you should go back and learn some of those things and revisit Ext.js at a later point. It will save some frustration and in a sense qualify you to take on Ext.js. And by the way, "If you think the Ajax package you are using now 'rocks' wait to you see what Ext.js can do!"

4) There are some additional considerations when integrating Ext.js into an existing layout or application. Because Ext.js includes css that modifies quite a bit of the styling on standard tags you may have to go back and re-write your layout and css to be less generalized. I created my app with a table based layout (I'm sure this is something that is typical of a newbie) and some but not much of the css conflicts (really only the zeroing of margins and paddings to make your design cross browser). I need to ensure that this application will be as stable as it can and have already commited to Ext.js therefore I've taken on rewritting my layout void of tables and with more css applied explicitly to each tag I need set a certain way.

This should NOT scare anyone away. My perspective here is that of a developer who is creating an enterprise level application. I need to cover my basses and ask the right questions. I am looking at this both as a developer and a project manager. Time is money : )

Tim - I have got exactly same sort of requirements & not finding much clue. Will you please share some ideas on embedding XFORMS that represents DB Entities in to the EXT JS based pages and communications between them. Did you come across any major challenge in this area?
    ggnerd

I'm not using XFORMS because I found loading extjs and json from a primary html page and then ajax calls was more flexible. Are you having issues accessing xforms that are loaded in an iframe? How are you embedding the xforms?
    -T

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345