Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Googles Closure Compiler

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Default Googles Closure Compiler

Just for those of you who doesn't follow Ajaxian

Google released an intresting tool called Closure Compiler which takes compression to a new level...

Since the ext-all.js file was to big for the online service I wasn't able to test it yet but I think the Extjs team may should give it a try...

Btw. Google also released a JS template engine and its own Lib... Definitely inluding some nice ideas!

The article on Ajaxian:

http://ajaxian.com/archives/google-r...he-js-geniuses

And the Google - Code link:

http://code.google.com/intl/de/closure/

Any thoughts?

Sencha - Community Support Team Condor's Avatar
    Vote Rating

I ran ext-all-debug.js through the command line version and the result was 20kb smaller than with YUICompressor!

I also tried advanced optimizations, but it crashed on the missing 'batch' variable in Ext.DomQuery.

It also complains a lot about invalid JSDoc (which is correct, because it's ExtDoc). Unfortunately there is no option to disable JSDoc error checking.

Vote Rating

@condor: would be interesting to see what it could do to ext-all.js. Any way we could get past the missing batch variable issue?

Vote Rating

The compiler works when using SIMPLE_OPTIMIZATION level.
    Code:
    "%JAVA_HOME%\bin\java" -jar compiler.jar --compilation_level SIMPLE_OPTIMIZATIONS --js ext-base-debug.js --js_output_file ext-base.js
    But it crashes with ADVANCED_OPTIMIZATIONS level:
    Code:
    "%JAVA_HOME%\bin\java" -jar compiler.jar --compilation_level ADVANCED_OPTIMIZATIONS --js ext-base-debug.js --js_output_file ext-base.js
    ps. Advanced mode isn't useful for compressing a javascript library anyway. You should only use it to compress a complete application.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

I am aware of that... But what i am actually wondering about is if the whole Extjs aplication still works if i compile it.

The compile will remove unused functions and rename variables for compression, I wonder if it takes care of the extjs extending structure...

Vote Rating

That is always the problem with compressors. How do you verify that the compressed library still works as expected.
    You would need to have unit tests that cover every aspect of the library (and that's something that Ext is still missing).

So far the library that I compressed on 'simple' level looks good.

Vote Rating

Closures seems to be more than just the compiler. There is a performance addon for firefox and a pretty extensive set of widgets with a dependency loader. Some of the widgets have an overlap with extjs, but there are others in there that are useful: including a gears widget, some graphics/canvas widgets, spell checking, and various other useful things.

http://closure-library.googlecode.co...ocs/index.html

Samples
    http://closure-library.googlecode.co...re/goog/demos/

Ext User
    Vote Rating

I also tried to run it and got over 100 errors on the simple optimization level, mostly related to variables it can't see as defined, mostly clearInterval, setInterval, and setTimeout (???).

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by Condor View Post
    I ran ext-all-debug.js through the command line version and the result was 20kb smaller than with YUICompressor!

I also tried advanced optimizations, but it crashed on the missing 'batch' variable in Ext.DomQuery.

It also complains a lot about invalid JSDoc (which is correct, because it's ExtDoc). Unfortunately there is no option to disable JSDoc error checking.
    What command line params did you use? I could not get it to work with anything but whitespace only on ext-all-debug.js.

Vote Rating

I didn't use anything special:
    Code:
    "%JAVA_HOME%\bin\java" -jar compiler.jar --compilation_level SIMPLE_OPTIMIZATIONS --js ext-all-debug.js --js_output_file ext-all.js
    (gives a lot of warnings about invalid JSDoc, but does compile)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast