I have installed Ext Designer (Windows XP SP3) , but am unable to get it to register successfully. Every time I launch it, I get the Register screen and enter my correct Ext Forums username and password. However, it consistently says:
You provided incorrect login details.
I've double- and triple-checked that I'm using the correct username and password (I'm obviously logged in correctly here), but to no avail. I requested that my license code be linked to my Forum account, and received an e-mail indicating that it was now linked.
My internet connection is not configured to use a proxy.
I am running AVG Anti-Virus, and thought perhaps that might be causing it a problem. I've tried adding the Ext Designer executable as an exception for AVG, and have also tried disabling AVG's Resident Shield. Neither of these made a difference.
Just for grins, I also registered for a new forum username and password just to see if that made any difference -- but I still get the same message as above.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by kylecorley; 30 Mar 2010 at 6:55 AM.
Reason: Forgot a detail.
I'm not running a firewall on my computer, and my router's firewall has port 80 opened for outbound HTTP traffic. I even put my computer in the DMZ just to make sure it wasn't the router's firewall, and still had the same problem. So, it doesn't appear to be a firewall issue at this point.
Okay, somehow it's now magically working, and I suspect it has something to do with an IE8 patch that was just applied yesterday afternoon.
******** I am running IE 8 on my machine (yeah, go ahead and beat me up if you want), and I have Automatic Updates set up on my machine (just to download, not to automatically install). I just recalled there was a Windows Update containing some sort of cumulative security change for IE8 that was downloaded yesterday, and I applied it sometime late yesterday afternoon. I am fairly certain that I hadn't tried ExtDesigner since that patch was applied -- until this morning, when ExtDesigner was magically able to authenticate my Forum username and password!
Bottom line... I suspect the issue was being caused by something in IE8, and that the Microsith patch that just came out for IE8 fixed it. I am VERY curious to know whether anyone else having this problem is also running IE8, and whether the problem magically goes away after applying the latest patches to IE8! ********
Also, I happened to be using Fiddler for some Ajax stuff I was working on, and it gave me an idea... I could try to start up Fiddler, then launch ExtDesigner and see if Fiddler will show me the actual response coming back from the server as it tries to authenticate my license.
I know that Fiddler DOES work as a proxy (which is how it can monitor your traffic)... Interestingly enough, several other threads on here seem to indicate that proxy servers are causing a problem with ExtDesigner. However, Fiddler didn't even register any traffic from ExtDesigner because I don't believe Fiddler was actually set up to listen to it. So, I don't think Fiddler is even in play here, but I decided to bring it up since it IS another variable in the mix.
Anyway, as I was sitting there thinking "WTF, why did this work", that's when I recalled that the IE8 patch had been applied yesterday afternoon.