Thread: ExtJS, ASP.NET MVC And TDD

Ext JS Premium Member

Default ExtJS, ASP.NET MVC And TDD

I am new to using ExtJS and I am building an ASP.MVC web application where I'd like to use this product to build the client.

I'm not sure how to ask this question, but here goes: I was wondering if there is any existing advice on common practices, or if small teams (ex: 2-4 devs) could describe how they use ExtJS on ASP.NET MVC. How do you setup up your overall development approach? How do you divide labor/tasks? If you are doing TDD, mocking, etc, how are you doing this?

Thanks.

Sencha User

I'm not to familiar with ASP.NET MVC.

The way we are doing it here is C#.NET web services just plane serving data, and EXT JS is the View or the MVC.

Hope this helps.

Sencha User

I'm back, and our developer has looked into the ASP.NET MVC, so we are using it. This is what we are doing and once understood, it seems to help the back development a whole lot if you are using the "linq" aspect of coding. The MVC framework helps to segregate the work into the three parts as you already know, and the EXT JS part is the View part of the MVC. It is really quite simple. In a 2-4 development environment, I would divide the developers into two teams. One team to do the V, and the other to do the MC part. All have a common interface to work with: The controller where the database is developed around. Your backend will start a phase ahead, and then your views will come after them. I could tell you that I started calling functions that weren't there, and that failed, until the functions were written. Once that was in place, everything seemed to fall into place.

As for TDD, the backend developer writes unit tests to fail and passes them with the nUnit framework.

So hopefully that gives you some insight in our development cycle. There's just the two of us, and it is working quite nicely. Sometimes you have to wait for the other, but SVN helps in this regard. I can write the backend code from time to time.