Web application testing is a critical aspect of web development. It allows developers to check their web app for potential issues and bugs before it is released to the public. It includes tests related to the app’s functionality, usability, compatibility, security, and performance. However, web application testing can involve several repetitive and tedious tasks, and manually performing different types of tests can take a lot of time. As a result, most developers today use website automation testing tools. Automation testing tools for web applications allow developers to automate repetitive tasks involving web application testing. They essentially enable developers to adopt low-code test automation, eliminating the need to execute test cases individually.
Automation testing tools for web applications enhance productivity and provide accurate results. They also help create high-performance products by facilitating continuous testing.
In this article, we’ll show you some of the best automation testing tools for web applications, including free automation testing tools.
Table of Contents
What Are The Best Automation Testing Tools For Web Applications?
There are different types of automated testing tools, such as functional testing tools, security testing tools, performance testing tools, and more. Below are the best tools for automated testing:
- Enables the creation of robust unit end-to-end tests
- Speeds up the web app testing process
- Allows you to execute end-to-end tests on multiple browsers simultaneously
- Also allows you to automate your test runs
- Lets users test real-time application changes from the CI system
Sencha comes with several subscription plans, including a free one. However, if you want access to Sencha Test, you have to subscribe to a paid plan.
TestRail is a robust web-based test management tool that allows developers to efficiently organize, track, and manage test cases. With TestRail, you can create agile test plans, and It allows you to streamline your testing processes and create high-quality, high-performance software.
- TestRail offers a single platform to monitor all of your test activities and quality metrics. You can easily track tests for browsers, mobile devices, and more.
- Drafting test cases with TestRail is super quick. You can even link tests to requirements and defects in GitLab, Atlassian Jira, GitHub Issues, and more.
- With TestRail, you can quickly generate traceability reports, enabling all the team members to track the status and progress of testing in real-time.
- TestRail allows developers to efficiently organize reusable test cases in folders and monitor test execution progress in real-time.
- You can easily integrate TestRail with several project management tools and automation testing tools, such as Jenkins, JIRA, and Selenium.
- TestRail also allows you to organize, schedule, and track agile test cases and streamline your testing process.
- TestRail offers advanced filters to start test runs and select test cases.
- With TestRail, you can also group, filter, and organize your results efficiently.
TestRail offers multiple pricing plans. There are two cloud-based subscription plans and two server-based pricing plans. There is also a free 14-day trial to allow users to try all the impressive features of TestRail.
Selenium is a very popular automated web testing tool. It consists of different tools, such as Selenium Grid and Selenium IDE. Selenium essentially enables automated testing of functional aspects of web apps. However, it’s not designed for desktop and mobile application testing.
- Supports several programming languages for test scripts, such as Ruby, Python, and also Java
- You can conduct automated tests in different modern browsers and different OS
- You can also integrate it with tools like Docked and Jenkins for continuous testing
- Selenium IDE allows you to debug and reuse test scripts
Open-source – no licensing cost.
- Allows you to create efficient web test automation scripts
- Enables real-time debugging of web applications
- Can be integrated with popular CI tools
- Advanced component testing capabilities
- Comes with a visual interface that indicates which tests and commands are running, passed, and also failed
- Supports real-time execution of test
Open-source, but additionally comes with paid add-on tools.
If you’re looking for a testing automation tool for mobile apps, Appium is a good option. When using Appium, you don’t have to recompile your apps for testing native apps.
- Enables users to write automated UI tests for web-based and hybrid mobile apps
- Supports both Android and iOS
- Enables parallel testing
ZeuZ is a scriptless automation testing tool for web, mobile, cloud, and desktop applications. It is essentially an AI-driven tool that doesn’t require programming.
- No need for scripts
- Robust and an all-in-one solution
- Cross-platform – works across multiple browsers
- Support integration with CI/CD tools
- Great tool for stress and performance testing
ZeuZ comes with two pricing plans. It also offers a free trial for two weeks.
Rainforest is an efficient no-code QA solution for automated testing for agile and post-agile teams. This cloud-based tool comes with an intuitive visual editor to create tests with just a click or drag-and-select of the mouse.
- Doesn’t require any code
- AI-powered, on-demand automated testing solution
- Allows users to develop and run tests quickly
- Tests run in parallel
- Can be integrated directly into your software’s deployment workflow
- Excellent customer support
Comes with two subscription plans – a free plan and an Enterprise plan with custom pricing.
Katalon Studio is among the most popular automation testing tools for web applications. It also enables automated testing of mobile and desktop apps and APIs.
- Allows users to generate and execute tests on all browsers, operating systems, and devices
- Supports both on-premise and cloud infrastructures
- JIRA integration
- Enables data-driven testing, keyword-driven testing, and web service testing
Comes with three plans:
- Ultimate – custom pricing, depending on features
Perfecto is a great cloud-based automation testing tool for web and mobile apps.
- Helps create and execute comprehensive and realistic test cases, which ultimately leads to higher quality apps
- Supports cross-environment executions
- Scriptless tests
- Advanced test analysis
- Integration with several CI/CD tools
Perfecto comes with several pricing plans. If you want automated testing, you can subscribe to the ‘Automate’ plan or ‘Scripless’ and Enterprise plans with custom pricing.
Next on the list of best automation testing tools for web applications is Testim. It is an AI-powered end-to-end automated testing tool.
- Enables fast authoring of AI-stabilized UI and end-to-end tests
- Highly customizable
- Allows users to diagnose failed tests
- Enables users to run cross-browser tests
- Integrates seamlessly with tools like Jenkins, JIRA, Slack, GitHub, and more
Comes with several plans, including a free one.
Cucumber is an efficient online Behavior Driven Development (BDD) tool. It enables developers to create easy-to-understand tests.
- Supports a variety of languages
- Integrates with GitHub and Jira
- Facilitates collaboration
- Used by famous platforms like PayPal and Canon
Open-source and free to use.
Leapwork is among the best no-code automation testing tools. It enables users to create flows that automate repetitive actions.
- No-code approach for test automation
- Allows you to test Salesforce – both classic and lightning
- Automates repetitive tasks
- Hyper-visual debugging leads and reusability enables faster maintenance
- Enables efficient scheduling of automation flows
Pricing depends on your features requirements and business needs.
Screenster is an efficient tool for functional regression testing made by AgileEngine software development company. It is considered a great alternative to Selenium.
- Fast UI testing automation
- Records your actions when you interact with a web page
- Allows users to rerun recorded tests
- Doesn’t require any browser plugins and desktop installation
- Can automatically detect visual and content changes
Comes with several subscription plans, including a free one.
Data Dog is another efficient end-to-end automated testing tool for monitoring your app workflows. It reduces the time required for test configuration and maintenance.
- No-code approach
- Allows users to record end-to-end tests for automating test creation
- Enables users to create tests programmatically through Datadog APIs
- Minimizes manual maintenance
- Test steps are updated with changes in your apps
Comes with three plans, including a free one.
QA Wolf is an efficient tool that generates JS code while you browse the internet. It then converts the Same JS code into an automated software test.
- Automatically develops a test plan for you
- Codes your end-to-end tests automatically
- Analyze every feature of your app and fix test code problems
Pricing depends on your app’s size.
TestProject provides a powerful and collaborative space that helps the automation community face day-to-day challenges more easily and delivers flawless products.
- End-to-end test automation
- Provides a hybrid cloud solution and an offline solution for automation testing
- Allows users to create no-code tests
- Zero server maintenance
Free to use.
Ready to get started with automated testing?
There are several different types of automation testing tools for web applications that help create high-performance web apps. This article consists of a list of the 15 best automation testing tools for web applications.